song of the crimson flower

One of my favorite aspects of Winterwood, besides the prose and the atmosphere, is the aching feeling in your chest as you read it. Write a comment below or submit an article to Hypable. Likewise, Winterwood by Shea Ernshaw had a certain kind of air about it, much like her freshman YA fantasy novel The Wicked Deep, where both took place in the real world, but felt as though they didn’t.

All books Fantasy and sci-fiSong of the Crimson Flower. Lan is also likable and good, but she makes a major misstep early on, showing an uglier, meaner side to her. Winterwood and Song of the Crimson Flower feel like folktales that could have been written in a time long past. Rejection is only the start of these lovers' problems. It takes a lot for authors to be put on automatic To-Be-Read lists, but both Julie C. Dao and Shea Ernshaw are on mine. Song of the Crimson Flower follows Bao, a boy who becomes cursed after being turned down by the girl he loves, and Lan, a girl whose mistake leads her on a journey to find a cure — and to what she really wants. She believes she’s a hero, not a villain, which is a thought-provoking element of this book. Book Description: Will love break the spell? Perhaps my favorite is the river witch (Huong), whose dynamic story arc altered my early impressions of her. Each book in the series will be written by a different author, which is an intriguing concept! In 2019, I started Amanda's Book Corner, featuring book reviews and nerdy blog posts.

This month, I was happy to discover Star Daughter… Continue Reading →, I’m ashamed to admit that when I first learned about Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust – upon becoming a July add-on for Book of the Month – it didn’t immediately capture my interest.

Sure, he becomes rather bitter and snappy after his negative encounter with Lan, but it’s a realistic reaction.

If only Tam would pick a wedding date, and not just play romantic flute music outside her window each night.

It takes something special to write a book that completely sweeps the reader off their feet and takes them for an unexpected journey. Will love break the spell?

Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Luckily, this isn’t the core of her character, and she spends the rest of the book redeeming herself.

It's only in the past year or so that I've reintroduced YA novels back into my life, and I'm so glad I have. Star-crossed lovers? After moving to Spain to get my master's degree in Music Business, I started my own music news site, Hidden Jams.

Heartbroken, Bao decides to flee town, but he ends up getting cursed by a witch.

Book: "Song of the Crimson Flower" by Julie C. Dao Publishing Info: Philomel, November 2019 Where Did I Get this Book: ARC from the publisher!
( Log Out / 

Add to box for $9.99. My favorite way to do so, then and still today, was through mythology and folktales. Follow along their quest, immersed in Vietnamese folklore. This time next month, Supernatural will have finally said goodbye. Here, Bao isn’t just a skilled flautist; he may be doomed to be a flute if the spell can’t be broken. Unless someone he loves ends up loving him in return – and declaring their love for him – before the next full moon, he’ll live out the rest of is life inside of his flute. It’s looking as though Mindhunter fans itching for a season 3 might not want to hold their breath. Not everything gets a bow on it, though: Many characters from early in the novel never make a reappearance, which seems like a shame. The spellbinding worlds of ‘Winterwood’ and ‘Song of the Crimson Flower’. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account.

Why not join our Hypable Books Facebook group!

I’d been wanting to read something by Beatriz Williams for a few months – all of her books look intriguing – and wh…, The first I ever head of Alex North’s debut novel, The Whisper Man, was when it was a Book of the Month selection last August. The inclusion of a moth that signifies death which follows Nora throughout the book gives off the perfect eerie vibe that the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen always seemed to radiate.

Lan’s journey from a spoiled and naive girl into someone who would do anything and go anywhere for the one she loved was both poetic and heartwarming to read as the final page was turned. This is the first physical book I’ve ever won from a giveaway on Goodreads – thank you, Goodreads, William Morrow, and Harp…, It was almost exactly one year ago that I picked up the Book of the Month edition of The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams.

Both Winterwood and Song of the Crimson Flower are standalone YA fantasy, but Song of the Crimson Flower takes place within the world of Julie C. Dao’s epic duology Rise of the Empress, a retelling of the story of Snow White that I wrote about last year.

Or will they be doomed to live out their lives with black magic running through their veins?

--Publishers Weekly "Powered by quiet, satisfying prose and a sense of magic and wonder, this will appeal to lovers of fairy-tale retellings and new fantasy worlds." Age Range: 12 - 16 BUY NOW FROM. It's opened the doors to so many amazing books!

An account with this email address already exists, but that’s not the right password. Change ). None of them are perfect, but even the villains have redeeming qualities.

Our site works best with the latest versions of these web browsers.

Moreover, it felt like one of those classic fairy tales we grow up with as children, the ones we cherish well into adulthood and pass on to the next generation. View all posts by Amanda, 1800s, Adventure, Adventures & Quests, Asia, Asian Protagonist, Book of the Month, Characters, Fantasy, Fiction, Historical Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Historical Romance, Julie C. Dao, Music, Romance, Vietnam, Book of the Month, Book Review, Fable, Flute, Forest of a Thousand Lanterns, Historical Fantasy, Julie C. Dao, Love, Song of the Crimson Flower, Vietnam, Vietnamese, YA Fantasy.

Netflix’s You is adding Scott Speedman in a signifiant role for season 3! Create a website or blog at WordPress.com, Late last year, I picked up Candice Carty-Williams’s debut novel, Queenie, from Book of the Month.

Instantly, I knew I needed to read it – the cover and synopsis both alighted my imagination, and I love anythi…, Follow Amanda's Book Corner on WordPress.com. One thing I loved about this novel is how strong and believable – and even likable – the characters are. One YA book I picked up early in my rediscovery process was Song of the Crimson Flower by Julie C. Dao, which I… Praise for Song of the Crimson Flower "Dao's latest fuses beats of Cyrano de Bergerac with elements from her Rise of the Empress duology to create an East Asian-influenced tale of love, greed, politics, addiction, and found family." Rejection is only the start of these lovers' problems.

Follow along their quest, immersed in Vietnamese folklore. Depicting the adventures of Lan and Bao, this Rise of The Empress novella is a quest to break a spell whilst proving that proves that bonds are stronger than blood. Oops! One YA book I picked up early in my rediscovery process was Song of the Crimson Flower by Julie C. Dao, which I got late last year from Book of the Month. Black-ish fans can now look forward to a season 7 that’s longer than we originally thought.

Fans of the hit Broadway musical, The Prom can now get their first taste of what they can expect from Netflix’s adaptation thanks to a brand new teaser trailer for the movie! There, after a snowstorm that knocks the power out and blocks the road, she finds a boy.

But when Lan cruelly rejects him, Bao renounces her and runs away—only to encounter a witch who ensnares his soul in a wooden flute.

Nora’s family also happens to be witches, and they’ve always taken care of the woods surrounding the mountain. ( Log Out / 

She’s much more than just a rich daughter.

Even Mistress Vy, villainous though she may be, has a moral compass and her own view of her actions.

I adored it, and am eager to go back and read Julie C. Dao’s first two books, both set in this same fantasy Vietnam world. From here, Bao and Lan end up on a quest, traveling across the fantastical Vietnam landscape to find Bao’s long-lost mother (as well as the witch) in hopes of breaking the spell.

Alice In Chains Tour, Ed Drewett Net Worth, Hurt Lyrics Oliver Tree, Jewel Pledge Meaning In Tamil, 2018 F1 Driver Standings, Khloe Kardashian No Makeup, Oatmeal Paste For Itchy Skin, Donovan Smith Los Osos, When Did Man Utd Beat Arsenal 8-2, No Country For Old Men Characters, Predator Font Generator, 10 Chisholm Street, Khancoban, Rayman Legends Dark Cloud, Dussehra Long Essay In English, 33 Most Beautiful Places In Italy, 1999 Rugby World Cup Semi Final France New Zealand, Gabrielle Out Of Reach Lyrics, Pick The Odd One Out Quiz Questions And Answers, The Iron Mask (2020 Full Movie), Plane Crash Survival Movies, Nürburgring Lap Times 2020, Friday Night Lights Season 6, Chris Matthews Net Worth, Vermeer's Hat Summary, Difference Between T5 And T6 Volvo Xc90, Workout Routine At Home, Cold Cold World Chaos Review, Fatal Vision Movie Cast, Jerry Jeff Walker Official Website, Second Hand Music Equipment, A Godwink Christmas: Meant For Love True Story, Hansel News, Ajax Sophocles Wiki, Kelly Clarkson - I Dare You Sales, Dove Grey Color, Daylight Savings Germany, New Brunswick Times, Types Of Debt Financing, Vulnerable Lyrics Meaning, List Of Chess Openings Pdf, Cowboy Boots Kids, License Travis Scott, Lord Of The Sword, Melissa Alcantara Workout, Queen's Gambit Declined Nf6, Daylight Savings Should Be Abolished, Rachel Zegler West Side Story, Are There Volcanoes In Maryland, Chasson Randle Net Worth, Time Change California 2020, Mini Sponge Mop, Kylie Jenner Hair Trend,