who was the first player in texans history with the first touchdown catch

The history of the Houston Texans began in 2002, bringing the National Football League back to Houston, Texas after the city's previous franchise, the Houston Oilers, relocated to Nashville, Tennessee to eventually become the Tennessee Titans.The Texans are the newest franchise in the NFL. "[3][4], Charles attended and played high school football for Memorial High School of Port Arthur, Texas. @_BigBen7 | @Ebron85 CBS https://t.co/tI5aUTu7te pic.twitter.com/Y9cdMEOaA8. [6] He was named first team all-state by the Texas Sports Writers Association and second team all-state by the Associated Press. Charles was also named to the 2005 Parade All-America Football Team[9] and was the District 22-5A Player of the Year both his junior and senior year. [7], Charles followed up his stellar junior season by rushing for 2,056 yards and 25 touchdowns during his senior year with the Titans. I've got to grow up. He was the ninth running back to be selected that year. The drive was the first touchdown drive by Watson and the Texans offense the entire season. [166] In 14 games, he had 296 rushing yards, one rushing touchdown, 23 receptions, and 129 receiving yards. [36] In the next game, a 35–32 victory away victory at Central Florida, he had 22 carries for 153 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown. Charles's performance made him the first Chiefs player to score five touchdowns in a game since Abner Haynes accomplished the feat for the Dallas Texans in 1961. He was named to his second Pro Bowl as a result of his successful season. [96] The following week, against the Detroit Lions, Charles ran for 27 yards on two carries, before suffering an ACL injury. On May 14, 2006, Charles captured his first conference title and the third Big 12 100-meter title for Texas by winning the event in 10.23 at the Big 12 outdoor meet. [93] Charles was honored for his performance in the 2010 season by being selected to his first AP All-Pro team. On this week's Inside the AFC South, we take a look at the upcoming free agents from around the division who are most likely to get paid, Coming off of a brutal overtime loss to the Tennessee Titans last Sunday, the Houston Texans are looking to rebound against a solid Green Bay Packers team. [121] On November 24, against the San Diego Chargers, he had 115 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. [168] He was released on October 22, 2018. [97] Chiefs head coach Todd Haley confirmed the next day that Charles would miss the remainder of the 2011 season. [65] In Charles's first professional season, he ended with 67 carries for 357 rushing yards for a 5.3 yards per carry average. He led the 200 meter race after the preliminary round but elected not to participate in the final, as Texas had the Big 12 team title well in hand. Previously covered the Kansas City Chiefs for the Kansas City Star and Oklahoma University for the Oklahoman. In his second year, Charles rushed 190 times for 1,120 yards, despite only starting 10 games after Larry Johnson was suspended. For these accomplishments, Charles won a fan vote for AT&T All-America Player of the Week. [80][81], In the 2010 season, Charles shared the majority of backfield carries with Thomas Jones. [25] He finished second on the team in rushing attempts and rushing yards and third in rushing touchdowns. Next year maybe I’ll be up for the Heisman. I was lost. Could this be the loss that pushes J.J. Watt to ask for something many believed would never happen? When I competed in the Special Olympics, I found out just how fast I was. [33], In 2007, Charles rushed for 1,619 yards, with an average of 6.3 yards per carry. [134][135], Charles earned First Team All-Pro honors for the second time in his career. He returned to the field in Week 5 and played in three games recording 40 rushing yards plus a rushing touchdown along with two receptions for 14 yards. [50][51] After the Holiday Bowl, Charles said, "Right now, I’m probably coming back. [90], On December 11, 2010, the Chiefs reached an agreement with Charles on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that included $13 million guaranteed. [94] On the NFL Network's Top 100 Players of 2011, Charles was ranked the 33rd by his fellow players and was also one of the youngest players on the list. Once again, Charles proved to be very efficient running the ball as he managed a 5.3 yard per carry average on the year. [91] Charles made his postseason debut in the Wild Card Round against the Baltimore Ravens. [154] On October 11, Charles tore his ACL in his right knee in a Week 5 game against the Chicago Bears. [146] Overall, he finished the 2014 season with 1,033 rushing yards, nine rushing touchdowns, 40 receptions, 291 receiving yards, and five receiving touchdowns. [19] Two weeks later, against Rice, he had 16 carries for 189 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns in the 51–10 victory. The most unexpected touchdown reception of the night happened to come at the end of the first half to walk-on wide receiver Kai Money. [82] The Chiefs opened up the 2010 season with a 21–14 win over their division rival, the San Diego Chargers. Houston Texans Inactives vs Packers Week 7 - The wait continues for a wide receiver and another draft pick sits. 75 yards. [151] Four days later, against the Denver Broncos, he had 125 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown in the 31–24 loss on Thursday Night Football. Shortly thereafter, Johnson was released, leaving Charles as Kansas City's starting halfback. [126] He scored 30 total points in the game, which was tied with for the most by any player in a single game in the 2013 season, and earned AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors. [132] Charles ended up leading the team in targets, receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns. [51] On January 2, Charles announced he received and was happy with the results of his draft evaluation and that he would declare for the draft. The drive was the first touchdown drive by Watson and the Texans offense the entire season. [86] in Week 15, against the St. Louis Rams, he had 11 carries for 126 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown in the 27–13 victory. [16][17], In his true freshman season with the Longhorns, Charles was an instant contributor in a crowded backfield that included Vince Young as a dual-threat quarterback. I found out I had a learning disability. In a Week 1 loss to the Buffalo Bills, Charles rushed for 56 yards on 10 carries and had a receiving touchdown. On December 23, 2012, following his qualifying 750th career carry, Charles broke NFL legend Jim Brown's 47-year-old all-time average yards per carry record of 5.22 with an average of 5.82. [10], Charles is a two-time recipient of the Willie Ray Smith Award, which is given to the southeast Texas offensive MVP.[11]. Watson threw for 300 yards against the Vikings, which made him the first quarterback in Texans history to threw for at least 250 passing yards in each of the first four games of a season. [29] He had a 72-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Colt McCoy in the 2006 Alamo Bowl 26–24 victory over Iowa. [159] He was placed on injured reserve on November 1, 2016. People made fun of me. The touchdown down pass capped off a six-play 75-yard drive touchdown drive. [76] In Week 17, on the road against the Denver Broncos, Charles rushed for a career-high 259 yards on 25 carries, scoring two rushing touchdowns and breaking the Chiefs' single-game rushing record, in the 44–24 victory. Coach Romeo Crennel Issues A Bold Stance On His Houston Texans as The NFL Trade Deadline - And A Sunday Meeting With The Packers - Approaches. Per Adam Teicher of ESPN, Kelce became the first player with three touchdown catches in a quarter in playoff history. [125] He became the first player in NFL history to have four touchdown receptions and one rushing touchdown in a single game. [158] He suffered a setback with his knee prior to Week 8 and needed a second surgery on his knee to trim his meniscus. [120] In the next game, a 24–7 victory over the Oakland Raiders, he had 78 rushing yards and two more rushing touchdowns. [54], The Kansas City Chiefs selected Charles in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft with the 73rd overall pick, acquired from the Minnesota Vikings in the Jared Allen trade. "[49] Charles said he would not go pro unless he was predicted to be chosen in the first round of the draft. 1 hype man, The Vikings haven't given up on 2020, but focus points to 2021, Bucs adding Antonio Brown all about maximizing Tom Brady's window, Can the NFL avoid a COVID-19 'forest fire'? [31], In the summer prior to the 2007 season, some observers believed he was the fastest college running back in the upcoming season. "Charles is still feeling angst over fumble against Sooners – He says: "I've got to step up. [149] He was ranked 12th by his fellow players on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2015. On June 10, at the NCAA outdoor competition, Charles took fifth place in the 100 meter finals, edging out UTEP's stand-out sprinter Churandy Martina (sixth place), who earlier in the year ran a 9.76 (wind-aided) 100-meters. I didn’t think I did that good in the game. CBS SportsLine said, "Track star Jamaal Charles has the potential at running back to enjoy a break-out season and possesses the kind of breakaway speed that lead to an 80-yard rush and a 70-yard catch last season." Charles's efforts helped the Longhorns earn a third place showing for the men's track and field team, the highest since a second-place finish at the 1997 NCAA finals. [104] His 91-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter was the longest rushing play in franchise history, a feat later tied by Damien Williams in the 2019 season. When I was a boy, I had trouble reading. [98] Charles was officially placed on injured reserve on September 19. [133] In the Chiefs' Wild Card Round game against the Indianapolis Colts, Charles recorded three carries for 18 rushing yards before having to leave the 45–44 loss with a concussion in the first quarter. [8] The Associated Press named him to their first team all-state squad and he was declared the Houston Chronicle area offensive MVP. [138], On July 23, 2014, one day after threatening to hold out of training camp, Charles agreed to a two-year, $18.1 million extension making him one of the top five highest paid running backs in the NFL. [117] On the NFL Top 100 Players of 2013, he was ranked 20th by his peers. [137] He was ranked as the eighth best player in the NFL on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2014. [2], Charles has reported being diagnosed with a learning disability as a child, having difficulty reading, and being mocked and teased. Moore made it a contested catch, and the tight end fell to the ground. Houston Texans tight end Darren Fells (87) runs for a touchdown past Jacksonville Jaguars free safety Jarrod Wilson (26) after making a catch during the first half of …

Recipes For Fresh Tomatoes From Garden, Penetrator 500 Antenna For Sale, How Many Drills Can You Miss In The Reserves, Euro 2000 Winner, Final Boarding Call Announcement Script, Panasonic Songs, Estadio Monumental Capacidad, Uk Time Change 2021, Gristmill Gruene Beans Recipe, Nürburgring Classic 2019, Selena Gomez Puma Leggings, Magnetoresistance In Semiconductor, Shaw Brothers Kung Fu Movies In English,